Work from home comes with lots of ups and downs. One of the greatest challenges I face is shutting down at the end of the day, disconnecting and re-engaging with my home and family life. With a home office setup it’s very easy to feel the need to reply to late night emails, check after hour notifications or simply beat the desire to cross off one more task on the never-ending to-do list. However, it is more important than ever to disconnect from work at the end of the day, give your brain a rest, and take care of your mental health, so you can come back refreshed. The J2T Family has been working 100% remotely for over 20 years. Below are some of our favorite tips and tricks to help us walk away from work at the end of the day.
- Shut down your computer – This seems simple, but most people don’t do it and it’s necessary. If you completely shutdown your computer at the end of the day, there is a sense of completion andless of a desire to go turn it back on for a menial task. This is also good for the health of your computer. It allows it to rest, make any necessary updates and may reduce daily tech issues.
- Get Outside – Fresh air and a change of scenery is a great way to disconnect at the end of the day, plus that Colorado sunshine is good for the soul. Go for a walk, spend some time in the garden,sit on your patio or deck – whatever it is, just get outside, clear your mind and enjoy the fresh air.
- Physical Activity –Nothing like a good workout to switch your mental focus from work to trying to catch your breath. Itre-energizes you, releases endorphins and helps melt away the workday stress.
- Meditate – Meditating relaxes the mind and helps you let go of the workday stress. It doesn’t need to be a long drawn out thing. Find a comfortable, quiet spot in your house and do a 5 – 10 minute meditation. New to meditation? No problem! There are hundreds of resources out there. You can simply YouTube a guided meditation or pick from one of several apps. Headspace and Calm are two great apps that have a plethora of short or long guided meditations.
- Cook – Try cooking a new recipe or bake your favorite dessert. Nothing like cooking to distract you and give you a yummy reward to look forward to!
Additional tips and tricks include turning off work notifications at the end of the day, switching your phone to “do not disturb”, making a to-do list for the next day (get it out of your head), walk away from your desk and put away any work related material (out of sight, out of mind).Take a chance and try some of these, it will help you step away and return to work the next day refreshed!
If you have any additional tips, feel free to comment below.